Shield-like object

Oletko löytänyt omituisen esineen? Näytä tunnistamaton löytösi ja aarremaanalla.comin jäsenet yrittävät auttaa sinua selvittämään mistä on kysymys.
disallowed

Shield-like object

Viesti Kirjoittaja disallowed »

Found this shield today. Looks like an alloy of some sort (not copper or bronze). Rough uneven edges, but shaped like a shield. You can see a box in the middle, a ribbon on top, making almost a crown with a cross or jewel at the top. But the symbols/words in the box are impossible to read. The find weighs 4 grams. Obverse side is flat. Could be military insignia? A cut coin or a piece of cross/icon pendant? Any other ideas?

Kuva

Kuva
XP Deus
Oldest finds: Iron age weapons, jewelry. Oldest coin: German pfennig 1046-1056.
Helping me dig are my karjalankarhukoira Taika and her puppy Björn
Kiukaisten Paroni
Metallinetsijä

Re: Shield-like object

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kiukaisten Paroni »

I dunno what is it, but somehow it looks kinda old and for me the material looks more like a pewter. What was the id number your detector gave? I have seen the deus gives pretty high numbers to alloy, but pewter goes around low 40 to low 60 range. Alloy goes usually high 80 to mid 90 (where the copper coins are).
XP Deus 11" full WS5 + 9" HF
Blisstool ltc64x V6 15" kelalla
Garrett sea hunter II
Mi-6 + Garrett porkkana
Satakunnan Menneisyyden Etsijät
Vanhin raha: Kristianin klippinki
disallowed

Kiukaisten Paroni kirjoitti: 23 Huhti 2019, 07:50 I dunno what is it, but somehow it looks kinda old and for me the material looks more like a pewter. What was the id number your detector gave? I have seen the deus gives pretty high numbers to alloy, but pewter goes around low 40 to low 60 range. Alloy goes usually high 80 to mid 90 (where the copper coins are).
You may be right! It does resemble pewter. Deus showed 52 VDI, if I remember correctly, so that also checks out.

I'd like to think it's old, but I haven't seen Karelians use pewter? Maybe in the 1700s? And what the heck is it - a piece of religious artifact? Or am I seeing a crown drawn there? I'm puzzled.
XP Deus
Kiukaisten Paroni
Metallinetsijä

It sure is interesting part of something. I have found pewter buttons from here (western Finland) and i guess those are from 1500s or 1600s. Maybe people has used pewter many centurys, but it simply just breakes down after a long period of time. Even those buttons i have found, are usually in very rough condition.
Maybe you should send some pictures to museum and they can help you to identify what is it. Im also interested about it :D
Garrett sea hunter II
Mi-6 + Garrett porkkana
disallowed

Kiukaisten Paroni kirjoitti: 23 Huhti 2019, 13:29 It sure is interesting part of something. I have found pewter buttons from here (western Finland) and i guess those are from 1500s or 1600s. Maybe people has used pewter many centurys, but it simply just breakes down after a long period of time. Even those buttons i have found, are usually in very rough condition.
Maybe you should send some pictures to museum and they can help you to identify what is it. Im also interested about it :D
So, turns out this is a piece that broke off from a crucifix. More specifically, a "keel-type crucifix" (my non-scientific translation from Russian). These were cast from all kinds of alloys back in the 15-17 centuries. The picture should have been flipped upside down.
Kuva

Here are some pictures of similar crucifixes for reference: https://kulturologia.ru/blogs/280713/18576/

And a Google Image search.
XP Deus
Kiukaisten Paroni
Metallinetsijä

Cool find! Funny because i have always though that alloy is somekind of "modern" material, but obviously not. I have found one orthodox pendant made of silver and it's probably from late 1700s or early 1800s and then i have found one piece of bronze cross from 1400s https://postimg.cc/Rq0Z3q3Q
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/An- ... _273048311
Kuva
Garrett sea hunter II
Mi-6 + Garrett porkkana
disallowed

That's very cool! I have yet to find one like this, with round ends. I did find one that opens (used to store orthodox relics inside like the Saints' ligaments) - that was a very exciting discovery!

You learn something new every day!
XP Deus
disallowed

Kiukaisten Paroni kirjoitti: 24 Huhti 2019, 06:54 Cool find! Funny because i have always though that alloy is somekind of "modern" material, but obviously not. I have found one orthodox pendant made of silver and it's probably from late 1700s or early 1800s and then i have found one piece of bronze cross from 1400s https://postimg.cc/Rq0Z3q3Q
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/An- ... _273048311
Kuva
Just saw someone find the same silver crucifix as you - also in Karelia (near lake Onega)
https://www.reviewdetector.ru/index.php ... ry19828654
XP Deus
Kiukaisten Paroni
Metallinetsijä

Nice find! Im planning to buy some nice silver chain for my crucifix, so i can use as a lucky charm during metaldetecting :)
Garrett sea hunter II
Mi-6 + Garrett porkkana
Vastaa Viestiin